Monday, October 10, 2011

The Legend of Material Happiness

Last week, the world mourned the death of the CEO of Apple Inc., Steve Jobs. Facebook Groups, Celebrity Tweets, and Status Updates, all were posted in remembrance of Steve Jobs.

Why?

You’re probably lookin’ at me funny, thinking “What do you mean ‘why?’ He was the C.E.O. of APPLE!”

Well, why is that such a big deal? You hardly know the guy!

And now it has probably hit you that I’m completely cuckoo crazy in the head, thinking, “…Because he’s the one who created my Ipod!”

Exactly.

We Americans, tend to be independent, and keep to ourselves. Each person is taught to be -- and lives with -- the strong value of self-reliance. Therefore, we tend to concern ourselves with things that concern us directly. At first, it was surprising to see so many people caring about the death of the person who made their phone. I mean, I’m pretty sure that such a big response from the global population would not be received if, god-forbid, the guy who made our sofa-died, or an equally strange baby in Africa died. I’m sure whomever hears of this news would feel sad, but wouldn’t go as far as they did to post their remorse as they did with Jobs.

We mourned as if Steve Jobs was a far-relative to us. Why?

Well, he didn’t treat us a whole lot differently than family; he gave us happiness in our lives. Granted, he takes money for his products, but his products still gives us comfort and happiness. For some, by the time this happiness became temporary, Jobs would have launched a new mind-boggling invention.

Realistically speaking, most middle-class Americans, like me, own probably an Iphone/ Ipod that’s updated maybe once in five years or more, which is not a bad deal. He changed my life and taught me how to best enjoy my spare moments in life, through an Ipod, which is a complete blessing. And I’m sure that’s the same way most people feel.

In some ways, I learned that humans are selfish; they only tend to care most about people who affect them, but I also learned that that means Steve Job did, indeed, play a pivotal role in making a direct impact in our lives.

Reading Poisonwood Bible, a book about an American family going on a mission trip to Congo during its independence movement, I thought of their lives in Africa. The Price Family lives in better conditions compared to most African families, but they still complain and miss all their things back home as they could only bring so much with them. Rachel spends her time loitering around in the house with nothing to do. She wishes she could go back home as she cannot find familiarity and comfort in the Congo. Likewise, we’ve become so dependent on our Iphones and Ipods, I don’t think we’d be able to live without it. We’d be UNHAPPY, like the Prices, without these material pleasures.

So, may God bless you, Steve Jobs. Your impact will never be forgotten. Thank you for giving us ways to enjoy our lives and bring us happiness. Thank you, God Bless, and Rest in Peace. And I hope you are returned with eternal happiness.

P.S. Please pull some strings, with your connections up there, to grant us a Happy App down here too. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment